Having good quality water is a key for a healthy, safe & beautiful aquarium environment for your fishes. Most of us tend to use Tap water for the household aquariums. But tap water contains many chemicals used to treat water for household use. Reports suggest that Tap waters are treated with chemicals such as chlorine and chloramine to make them safe for human drinking. But that doesn’t mean it is safe for fish. In fact these chemicals are highly toxic for the fish. And many of you who tried using tap water without treating them to your aquariums, must have found it the hard way! That’s why one should use water conditioners such as API TAP Water Conditioner. It instantly neutralizes chloramines and removes chlorine. This article is an unbiased review of API TAP Water Conditioner to help you decide upon whether you should use it or look for an alternative. Here is the product on amazon: https://amzn.to/3zJ6c5R
How this Water Conditioner Works?
This water Conditioner comes with highly concentrated solution. It is made up of Sodium Thiosulfate. You will hardly need 3ml of it to treat 10 gallons of tap water. API is a well-known brand in Aquarium water treatment products. With over 50 years of massive experience in the field of treating waters API helps to keep your aquariums healthy and safe. The recommended use of API TAP Water Conditioner is whenever you are setting up your aquarium or during water change or during adding fish. It instantly neutralizes chemicals from water. It also detoxifies heavy metals from the water. You can even check with your local water authority if they use Chloramine for water treatment. If they don’t then you can use just 1ml of this solution. I personally recommend renewing your tank water bi-weekly if not weekly.
How to use this Tap Water Conditioner for your aquarium?
- Take 10 gallons of fresh Tap water
- Add 1-3 ml of API TAP Water Conditioner to it
- Mix well
- in case of setting up the tank, fill the desired amount of water
- In case of refilling the tank, make sure to slowly add the water so that fish are safe. For better safety keep your fish in another pot/bucket with current water from your tank and then replace all water from your aquarium with treated new water.
- Let the water settle for some time. And then add your fish back to tank.
- If you are using a hose to fill the water, make sure it’s clean
Is API TAP Water Conditioner safe for small aquariums?
You may face an issue in treating waters for small tanks. It is because the highly concentrated solution. If the added quantity is higher than expected the water may smell bad and your fish will definitely not like it that way. If you are not sure about the solution quantity for your tank size, I recommend preparing 5 gallons of water with 1 ml of solution. Even if it’s higher than your tank size, there is no harm in disposing excess quantity.
- Contains one (1) API TAP WATER CONDITIONER Aquarium Water Conditioner 8-Ounce Bottle
- Neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and other chemicals to make tap water safe for fish
- Prevents tap water chemicals from causing gill destruction, tissue irritation and fish death
- Super strength, high concentration formula
- Use when adding or changing water and when adding new fish to freshwater and saltwater aquariums
How to store API TAP Water Conditioner?
I usually recommend keeping it refrigerated. You may feel it smell bad in case you store it open. If it smells bad, it means the conditioner is spoiled. Better not to use for safety of your fish.
Can I use API TAP Water Conditioner with other API products?
The answer is yes! API Aquarium Treatment Supplies are designed to work in conjunction with each other to provide best results to control algae, promote healthy bacterial growth and help control and cure fish diseases and conditions such as ich and fin rot.
What is the best practice for using API TAP Water Conditioner?
API TAP Water Conditioner alone will not make your fish stay healthy. For better results follow these instructions:
Feed your fish daily!
- Even twice a day is recommended
- Use fish foods such as API Fish Food which nutritionally enhanced proteins, allowing for easy uptake of nutrients and maximum absorption, resulting in less excrement for clear, clean water.
- Observe your fish daily to ensure that they are healthy and active.
- Make sure to have a check of water temperature as well
- Take time to observe fish to ensure they are active & healthy and be sure to check water temperature.
Test your water quality weekly!
- Realize that you are simulating the natural habitat of the fish in contained tank
- Hence it is very important to keep the water quality good so that your fish can thrive in closed environment
- Make sure to test these 4 important parameters of your tank water: PH value, Nitrites, Nitrates & Ammonia
- You can use API MASTER TEST KITS or API 5-IN-1 TEST STRIPS to have watch on water quality weekly
Change 1/4th of your tank water bi-weekly
- As there is no natural streams or flow currents to take away debris from the closed environment of your tank, it’s important to change tank water with fresh water
- It’s recommended to change at least 1/4th or 25% of your tank water with fresh water
- Make sure using API TAP Water Conditioner each time you add fresh tap water
Restore Your Ecosystem Monthly
- Make sure to restore the ecosystem monthly for the healthy and beautiful aquarium
- Make sure to clean your filter media, gravels for any debris accumulated
On a conclusion note, I would say API TAP Water Conditioner is a best in class solution available to treat tap water chemicals. It instantly neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals hence make your tap water safe for fish. It also helps preventing tap water chemicals from causing gill destruction, tissue irritation and fish death. It’s recommended to use when adding or changing water. You will be surprised if I tell you an additional use of this solution apart from using for the aquarium. You can even use this solution to CLEAN SMELLY CHLORINE FROM YOUR SWIMSUIT. And trust me, it really works! 😀 As a conclusive note, I have tried rating this product in the following table with its pros & cons. If you liked this post, please make sure to subscribe to my blog as I will be adding reviews of products used for aquarium water treatments!
I hope you liked this review.Please do let me know your thoughts in comments! Also do Check out my review on Tetra SafeStart Plus Review