In this article we will be reviewing Seachem flourish Fresh water Plant Supplement. Find out in this detailed review, why in our opinion, Seachem flourish is “The Best” Fresh water Plant supplement available in the market and that can surely make your plants thrive in freshwater aquarium. But before we move on to review the product let’s understand basics of an plant based ecosystem of an aquarium.
What is plant based ecosystem of aquarium?
Plant growers use the term “plant-based ecosystem of the aquarium” to indicate that the plants in the aquarium can grow self-sufficiently with nutrients. In a natural marine environment, plants are vital to the marine ecosystem because they help filter the water, produce oxygen for fish and provide a food source. In a home aquarium, plants not only serve as a form of decoration but also as a filtration system for your tank. You can also use some plants as a food source for fish in your tank. A common misconception is that plants require only sunlight to grow.
Many people that have aquariums think that they don’t need to spend their money on an assortment of different plants. This is not true. A lot of fish are happier when there are other flora in the aquarium and some fish will only eat certain types of plants. Plants also help with algae growth because they use up some of the nutrients needed for algae bloom. Many people have realized that aquarium plants are about more than just being aesthetically pleasing. Yes, they are beautiful to look at but they also make the water cleaner and provide a habitat for many underwater life forms.
Aquarium plants are required for the health of the fish that live in them. They provide natural cover and oxygenating surfaces for fish. Aquarium plants often serve as food for some fish – livebearers, in particular, will often feed off of java fern and java moss. Scientific evidence has proven that having plants in an aquarium lowers stress levels by providing hiding places for fish.
What are plant supplements?
As our fish get nutrients from the water, the plants, on the other hand, get nutrients from the water, the fish, and also the air. Therefore, it is extremely important to keep the aquarium plant’s nutrition balanced. It doesn’t just help the plant to grow better. It also ensures that your fish receive nutrients and prevents the aquarium water from affecting the plants. Developing a plant supplement for aquariums is important because aquarium plants can be grown in various ways. Aquarium plants have the potential to thrive in different ways, such as growing in root-bound containers, through the water column by immersed plants, or rooted in soil.
There are many factors involved in the growth of these plants which make them important to sustain. For instance your aquatic plants needs calcium, magnesium, iron , Sulphur, potassium, boron, and the list goes on and on. In short, they need rich nutrients to grow. Keeping balance of these plant’s health becomes challenging as the resources in the regular aquarium are limited. You can easily fill up this need of nutrients by adding supplements in the form of liquid or tabs in your aquarium. And our choice after using multiple products is Seachem flourish.
- SUPPLEMENT: Seachem Flourish is a comprehensive plant supplement for the natural freshwater aquarium, containing a rich assortment of important micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients.
- ELEMENTS: In order to benefit your aquatic plants and help your freshwater environment thrive, Seachem Flourish contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and other important elements.
- WATER TREATMENT: For best results, use 1 capful (5 mL) of Flourish for each 250 L (60 US gallons) once or twice a week. For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. Refrigeration is recommended 3 months after opening.
- SOLUTION COLOR: It is normal for the color of Seachem’s Flourish to vary by batch as the solution color is dependent on the temperature at which the product was blended. This variation in color is of no consequence to the function of Flourish.
- SAFETY: Seachem Flourish is safe to use for invertebrates such as shrimp, but is designed to be used in conjunction with other macro and micro-nutrient supplements in aquariums only.
What is Seachem flourish?
Seachem evaluated the importance of having a balanced plant based ecosystem for the aquarium and developed a comprehensive solution that can fulfill the needs of nutrients of the aquatic plants such as Java Moss of freshwater. It’s a all in one formula that can take care of all the nutrient needs of a basic aquatic plant. And most important thing to note is, Seachem Flourish is safe for all freshwater aquatic animals including invertebrates like shrimps.
What Seachem flourish is derived from?
If we see the note on the bottle , it’s mentioned there, the seachem flourish is derived from following:
- Potassium Chloride
- Calcium Chloride
- Copper Sulfate
- Magnesium Chloride
- Ferrous Gluconate
- Cobalt Sulfate
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Manganese Sulfate
- Boric Acid
- Sodium Molybdate
- Zinc Sulfate
- Protein Hydrolysates
What are the Seachem flourish ingredients?
As declared by Seachem on their product label, for each 1 gram of Seachem Flourish you will find following ingredients:
|Ingredient||% per 1gm weight|
|Total Nitrogen (N)||0.07%|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||0.01%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||0.37%|
What are the Seachem flourish dosing?
Seachem Flourish comes in different sizes and you can choose suitable size bottle as per your tank size. The recommended dosing by Seachem is to use 5ml (1 capful measurement) for 60 gallons (250liters) of aquarium water. You are covered here, even if you are not good at math 😉 . Simply refer this table below:
|Your Aquarium Water Quantity (US gallons)||Seachem flourish dose (ml)|
Seachem flourish bottles comes in sizes 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L and 4 L. Based on calculations I have given in above table, make sure to choose correct bottle size. As it’s non-toxic, you can use it regularly. Set the quantity as mentioned in above table and keep adding weekly to your aquarium. For initial 10 to 15 days, the formula will help the plant’s to strengthen their roots and after that you will see significant improvement in their growth. Hence we recommend to be little patient to get best results out of this!
Seachem flourish for macro element fertilization
In some cases , your water has one or more of the nutrients mentioned above already present in good amount. We recommend to have your aquarium water tested at least bi-weekly basis. Do check our blog Aquarium water test kits – protecting your fishes to know more about testing your aquarium water. Based on these needs, Seachem also offers nutrients specific formula. You can consult to your vet once before opting for these, as “balance” is crucial and you don’t want end up hurting your ecosystem rather than caring for it.
Iron supplements can be used in cases where the iron requirements exceed the recommended dose of Flourish or when signs of iron deficiency, such as short and skinny stems or yellowing between the veins, become apparent. Molding plaster is phosphate and nitrate-free.
Flourish Trace supplies vitamins and minerals proven to be necessary for plant health and development. Consumption, oxidation, and precipitation deplete trace elements, and these nutrients are lost rapidly in the three steps. Including Flourish Trace in maintenance strategies such as shrimp hatching is recommended. We ordinarily encourage newbies to start with Flourish and/or Flourish Tablets. Vitamins, amino acids, and other micronutrients are provided by these supplements, supporting plant growth and vitality. In situations of substantial growth rate, the trace elements like iron, manganese, nickel, cobalt, etc., deplete more quickly compared to other components in Flourish. Therefore, it would be beneficial to use Flourish Trace in addition to Flourish and/or Flourish Tabs.
- Trace elements supplement for the planted aquarium
- Allows for more frequent dosing than a broad spectrum supplement without worrying about a build up of more slowly used components
Nitrogen is one of the most important macro nutrients (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium: NPK) required by plants and often becomes the limiting factor to growth in our flourishing ecosystem. Flourish Nitrogen is a concentrated (15,000 mg/L) mix of nitrogen sources. Flourish Nitrogen, a nitrogen fertilizer, provides either nitrate or plant–neutralized ammonium. Seachem Flourish Nitrogen contains complexed and unavailable urea nitrate, which converts into ammonium carbamide and releases ammonium. However, it does not directly release ammonia.
- Nitrogen supplement for the planted aquarium
- 15,000 mg/L blend of nitrogen sources
- Provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the ammonium form.
With Flourish Phosphorus, you don’t need to calculate the formula to get the proper dosage of phosphate for your flourishing system. When used as directed, Flourish Phosphorus will help accelerate and optimize the growth of aquatic plants. For the best results, use in conjunction with Flourish Nitrogen and Flourish Potassium. Flourish Phosphorus is safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and has no negative impact on water quality.
- Phosphorus supplement for the Planted Aquarium
- A safe 4500 mg/L solution of potassium phosphate
- Takes the guesswork out of phosphate dosing
Flourish Excel is a good source of bioavailable organic carbon. All organisms require a carbon source. Typically, carbon dioxide (CO2) is the source of this, however, simpler organic substances like photosynthetic intermediates can also derive it. There is not necessarily a trade-off between using CO2 injection (CO2 Booster) to enrich the photosynthetic intermediates detected in the tree roots versus using Flourish Excel alone. Both subsurface syntheses occur during the same chemical reaction, resulting in a substantial net benefit afforded by Flourish Excel. Excel is particularly well-suited for complicated cases in which large amounts of CO2 may cause dangerously low pH levels. In addition, Excel has properties that reduce iron, facilitating its conversion from ferric iron (Fe +3) to the more plant-accessible ferrous state of iron (Fe +2).
- CARBON PRODUCTION: All plants require a source of carbon, and Flourish Excel is a great and convenient source of bioavailable organic carbon.
- IRON PRODUCTION: Flourish Excel also possesses iron reducing properties, thus promoting the ferrous state of iron (Fe+2), which is more easily utilized by plants than ferric iron (Fe+3).
- PHOTOSYNTHESIS: Plants must produce longer chain carbon compounds (photosynthetic intermediates). By dosing with Flourish Excel you bypass the involvement of chain carbon compounds, and introduce the already finished, structurally similar compounds.
- TREATMENT: On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful of Flourish Excel (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 US gallons). Thereafter, use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 US gallons) daily or every other day. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.
- SAFETY: Flourish Excel is completely safe for fish, however if you have Anacharis in an aquarium in which you are dosing Flourish Excel, then it is recommended to use it every other day rather than daily.
Seachem Flourish Advance is an advanced formula contains phytohormones, minerals, and nutrients that stimulate the growth of aquatic plants.
- ENHANCER: Seachem Flourish Advance is an advanced formula that contains phytohormones, minerals, and nutrients that dramatically stimulate the growth of both roots and shoots in aquatic plants.
- GROWTH: The phytohormones play crucial roles in regulating plant growth in a wide range of developmental processes, including cell division, formation and activity of shoot meristems, induction of photosynthesis gene expression, leaf senescence, nutrient mobilization, seed germination, root growth and stress response.
- ADVANCED FORMULA: With regular use, Seachem Flourish Advance enhances mineral absorption and improves disease resistance. During the first ten to fourteen days after application, Flourish Advance works to stimulate root growth beneath the surface. After this initial induction period, significantly enhanced growth in the leaves and stems of the plants will occur.
- USE: Shake well before using Seachem Flourish Advance. Use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 80 L (20 US gallons) and be sure to dose daily or as required to maintain plant growth.
- SAFETY: Seachem Flourish Advance is non-toxic and completely safe for all plant varieties as well as for fish, shrimp, and other aquatic organisms.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Is seachem flourish safe for shrimp?
Yes, Seachem Flourish is safe for shrimp. Although too much copper can be harmful to aquatic creatures, like shrimp and snails, they actually need a trace amount of copper. The copper level in Flourish is very low, so you would have to use extremely high doses before it becomes toxic for even the most sensitive animals. In fact, tap water used for water changes typically contains more copper than Seachem Flourish.
- Does seachem flourish expire?
Seachem products do not expire but it’s recommended to use it within 3 months after opening the bottle. You can extend it by refrigerating the product.
- Can you overdose seachem flourish?
Using too much of any product can be harmful, and this applies to Flourish as well. A small overdose usually doesn’t cause harm, but a significant overdose can quickly change nutrient levels in the tank, which can stress fish, plants, and beneficial bacteria.
Fish require aquarium plants as they provide a habitat for swimming and living. They can provide shelter for small fish, they can provide oxygen, and they can help with the balance of other elements in the water. It’s very important for all the aquarium owners to understand the importance of the plant based ecosystem. As Seachem’s philosophy is “knowledgeable hobbyist makes the best customer”, they understood what exactly needed in this space and introduced the Freshwater plant supplements.
We tried our best cover all the necessary details in this review, for you to make your decision. But still in case you want us to cover any specific point about Seachem Flourish, please do let us know in comments and we will get back to you as soon as we can. I hope you liked this extensive detailed review on need of plant based ecosystem for your aquarium and the how you can your aquarium plants thrive with the help of Seachem flourish: “The Best” Fresh water Plant supplement available in the market!